Servings: 8 Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound sushi-grade tuna
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeño
- 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder (can be found in most Asian sections of grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus juice
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Rice or Multigrain crackers (I often use SAN-J Tamari Sesame Crackers which are Gluten free, found at Whole foods)
- Combine the corn oil and ginger, let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Strain oil.
- Cut the tuna in about 1/4 inch dice. In large bowl, combine the tuna with the ginger oil, 3 tablespoons of cilantro and the jalapeño, wasabi, sesame seeds, scallion and lemon zest. Mix and season with salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, add lemon juice (you don't want to do this prior to serving because it will start to "cook" the tuna and discolor it). Serve on a cracker or in a small tasting glass with a cracker and micro greens as a garnish.
Adapted from recipe by Eric Ripert